California Driver Handbook - DMV Information
Most DMV offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday. Some field offices have extended hours (open earlier), and a few offer only driver license or vehicle registration services. To find out if your local field office has extended hours, or to find a field office location and service options, go online or call the toll-free number.
Make sure to have your driver license or identification card number, vehicle license plate number and/or vehicle identification number (VIN) available.
Go online at: www.dmv.ca.gov for (to):
- Field office locations, hours, directions, and phone numbers.
- Make appointments to visit a field office or take a driving test (except for commercial driving tests).
- Order personalized plates.
- Driver license and identification card information.
- Vehicle/vessel registration information.
- Downloadable forms.
- Publications—handbooks, brochures, and sample tests.
- Senior driver information.
- Teen driver information.
- Links to other state and federal agencies.
- Renew your driver license or vehicle registration.
Call 1-800-777-0133 during normal business hours to:
- Obtain/request driver license and vehicle registration information, forms, and publications.
- Find office locations and hours.
- Make a driving test appointment.
- Speak to a DMV representative or request a call back.
Call 1-800-777-0133 for automated service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to:
- Renew your driver license or vehicle registration with the Renewal Identification Number (RIN) provided on your billing notice. You can pay with a credit card or e-check.
- Make a field office appointment.
Persons with speech or hearing impairments can call, toll free, 1-800-368-4327 for assistance with DMV services. Only typed messages from another TTY are received and responded to at this number.