California Driver Handbook - DMV Information
Most DMV offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday; from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday. Some field offices have extended hours (open earlier), and a few offer only driver license or vehicle registration services. To find out if your local field office has extended hours, or to find a field office location and service options, go online or call the toll-free number below.
Go online at: www.dmv.ca.gov for (to):
- Field office locations, hours, directions, and phone numbers.
- Make appointments to visit a field office or take a driving test (except for commercial driving tests).
- Order personalized plates.
- Driver license and identification card information.
- Vehicle/vessel registration information.
- Downloadable forms.
- Publications—handbooks, brochures, and sample tests.
- Senior driver information.
- Teen driver information.
- Links to other state and federal agencies.
- Renew your driver license or vehicle registration.
Call 1-800-777-0133 during normal business hours to:
- Obtain/request driver license and vehicle registration information, forms, and publications.
- Find office locations and hours.
- Make a driving test appointment.
- Speak to a DMV representative.
Call 1-800-777-0133 for automated service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to:
- Renew your driver license or vehicle registration with the Renewal Identification Number (RIN) provided on your billing notice. You can pay with a credit card or e-check.
- Make a field office appointment.
Advertising sponsorship, instead of your fees, helps defray the printing costs of this publication. The products and services provided by the advertising sponsors are not promoted or endorsed by DMV, but the significant contribution by the advertising sponsors is most appreciated.
If you would like to advertise in this publication, please call the Office of State Publishing Advertising Department at 1-866-824-0603.